Long-term consultancy under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF)
The African Development Bank (AfDB) and the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF) hereby invite Individual Consultants to apply for the post as Long-term Consultant to the UMDF. The Consultant will support activities related to sustainable urban development and creation of resilient cities and towns. The candidate will provide intellectual and technical contributions to climate change adaptation actions for cities in the program and will support the implementation and executions of related interventions at city level.
Consultant type: Individual Consultant
Consultant Location: Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
1. The African Development Bank hereby invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in the following Assignment: Long-term consultancy under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF)
The African Development Bank recognizes that cities and towns are major drivers for economic development. To underscore the importance of cities, in April 2019, the Bank launched its first Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF), a technical assistance fund designed to support municipalities. The UMDF will support African cities and municipalities to improve their resilience and better manage urban growth and development through planning, governance and quality of public services. The UMDF is structured around four main pillars that will define the Fund’s mandate and work program: (a) improved urban planning, (b) improved project preparation (i.e., preinvestment), (c) improved governance and fiscal management, and (d) increased capacity to support integrated urban development.
3. Objective of the Consultancy:
The objective of the Long-term consultancy under the UMDF is to support the operationalization of the UMDF including alignment of its objectives with the Bank Group strategic orientation: inclusive growth and green growth and the High five development priorities meant to accelerate the Bank’s long-term strategy, namely to Light up and Power Africa; Feed Africa; Industrialize Africa; Integrate Africa; and Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.
4. The services to be provided under the Consultancy:
The Long-term Consultant will contribute to UMDF’s activities related to sustainable urban development and creation of resilient cities and towns. The candidate will provide intellectual and technical contributions to climate change adaptation actions for cities in the program and will support the implementation and executions of related interventions at city level. The Consultant will work on UMDF beneficiary and nonbeneficiary cities. The Consultant will, therefore, be a key member of the Urban Development Division Team and will be based in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire.
5. The Infrastructure and Urban Development Department invites Individual Consultants to indicate their interest in providing the above-described services. Interested Consultants shall provide information on their qualifications and experience demonstrating their ability to undertake this Assignment (documents, reference to similar services, experience in similar assignments, etc.) Female candidates, as well as candidates with urban experiences with Nordic cities are encouraged to apply.
6. The eligibility criteria, the establishment of a short list and the selection procedure shall be in conformity with the Bank’s Procurement Policy for Recruitment of Corporate Consultants. Please, note that interest expressed by a Consultant does not imply any obligation on the part of the Bank to include him/her in the shortlist.
7. The estimated duration of services is 12 months renewable and the estimated starting date is to be negotiated.
8. Interested Individual Consultants may obtain further information at the address below during the Bank’s working hours: 9am to 5pm, Monday – Friday (GMT)
9. Expressions of interest must be sent by email in PDF to the address below no later than [Monday 28 September 2020] at [16:00 hours] Abidjan local time and mention “Expression of Interest for Long-term consultancy under the Urban and Municipal Development Fund (UMDF).”
Attn: Mrs. Yene O. OUATTARA-COULYBALY
Cc: Babati MOKGETHI
Department of Infrastructure and Urban Development (PICU)